Highlights in Alpha Delta Pi History
These dates and events are only a brief glimpse into the long and distinguished history of Alpha Delta Pi. For a more complete picture, visit the interactive Alpha Delta Pi history page.
1836: Wesleyan Female College was founded as Georgia Female College in Macon, Georgia, as the first college in the world to grant degrees to women.
1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as the Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.
1852: The Philomathean Society (later Phi Mu) was founded on March 4th at Wesleyan Female College.
1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
1906: Gamma Chapter was founded at Mary Baldwin Seminary. The first National Convention was held in Macon, Georgia.
1907: The first The Adelphean of Alpha Delta Pi magazine was published.
1909: Alpha Delta Phi joined the National Panhellenic Conference.
1911: Elizabeth Moseley Coles was elected the first National President.
1913: The Convention body changed the name of the organization to Alpha Delta Pi, adopted a recognition pin, and appointed a standardization committee. The trustees at Wesleyan Female College voted to abolish sororities.
1915: The coat of arms was modified to include a lion rampart with a background of violets and the English version of the open motto: “We live for each other.”
1929: Beta Zeta was installed at the University of Toronto, making ADPi an international organization.
1979: Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy.
1983: The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established.
1999: Alpha Delta Pi ushers in the digital age by launching its first website.
2001: Alpha Delta Pi celebrated its 150th Anniversary.
2003: The new Executive Office building was completed.
2005: Memorial Headquarters renovation was completed.
2011: Alpha Delta Pi becomes the first sorority to celebrate 160 years of sisterhood.